North Carolina Parents’ Workshop 5/20: Raising Gender-Expansive Children & Teens
Apr 20, 2017
A workshop for anyone who has a child in their life that simply doesn’t fit into our society’s notions about gender
Raising kids is challenging; when your child is Transgender, Non-binary or otherwise Gender-expansive, the task becomes that much greater. But you are not alone.
• Confused by what your child is saying about their gender?
• Uncertain about the ways in which to respond to your child’s gender?
• Concerned about how you will explain it to others?
• Worried about your child’s prospects for a safe, healthy, and happy future?
• Seeking ways to advocate for your child’s needs in school, your community, and elsewhere?
Join Gender Spectrum for a day of learning, conversation, and reflection about your child’s gender. Having walked thousands through this journey, we can help you get a better understanding of what may be happening with your child, how to best respond, and what steps to take next. While there are no simple, one size fits all answers, there are strategies you can use as you navigate this path.
Register now at bit.ly/genderspectrumnc1. This workshop is for adults only; no childcare is available. For more information, email us at email@example.com.
Workshop Leader: Lisa Kenney, Executive Director of Gender Spectrum
When: Saturday, May 20th, 2017 from 9am-4pm
Where: The Research Triangle Region, NC; exact location TBD
Cost: Sliding scale from $15 to $110 per person. If the minimum is not affordable, please contact us—we want you to attend!
Providing effective tools and strategies for you to take home, this interactive day will combine presentations, discussions, and personal and small group exercises. Topics will include:
- What is gender?
- Privacy & disclosure issues
- Addressing fears
- Helping your child navigate their gender path
- Health and wellness issues for transgender and non-binary children and teens
- Essential parenting practices for transgender, non-binary and other gender-expansive kids
- Nurturing your child’s resilience
- Advocating for your child
- Imagining new kinds of joy (and other aspects of a wonderful future)
As the Executive Director of Gender Spectrum, Lisa Kenney is a featured speaker at conferences and a consultant to organizations and corporations on the changing understanding of gender and the implications this has for parents and families, social institutions and corporations. She provides workshops and other events for parents and caregivers on gender and co-authored, with Stephanie Brill, The Transgender Teen: A Handbook for Parents and Professionals Supporting Transgender and Non-Binary Teens.